Asthma is one of the most common chronic diseases of children, but adults can also have it.
- Half of Texas children with asthma miss school because of it.
- One in five adults with asthma visit the ER each year due to asthma.
- Asthma is the third leading cause of hospitalization for children.
Talk to your doctor if you or your child experiences the following:
- Coughing, especially at night, during exercise or when laughing
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
If left uncontrolled, asthma can lead to:
- Sick days from school or work
- Poor sleep
- Lack of physical activity
- Permanent lung damage
- Respiratory failure
To avoid complications:
- Get screened by visiting a Healthy South Texas Asthma Education location near you or taking part in our community outreach events.
- Learn how to control asthma by participating in our proven asthma education courses.
- Have a plan by working with your health care team on an asthma action plan.
- Breathe easier by learning how to make your home a trigger-free environment.
- Take your medications (if you can’t afford them, we can help.)
Enjoy a more active, symptom-free life with
- Fewer emergency-room visits and hospitalizations
- Reduced absence from school and work
- Lower medical costs