Our multidisciplinary team engages people of all ages in programs and activities geared toward preventive health to help them stay healthy and live longer. As a result, we are improving outcomes in:
Why South Texas?
Our state’s border region poses critical health challenges. Rising obesity, emerging infectious diseases, high uninsured rates and limited access to health care all contribute to a less-than-desirable quality of life for many South Texans. Healthy South Texas extends solutions to meet underserved health needs in these communities. As a result, families will get to enjoy healthier, longer lives for generations to come.
Fostering health through all stages of life:
- Diabetes management education provides education and support for those who are diagnose with, or at risk for, type 2 diabetes.
- Asthma management education supports families and caregivers of children with asthma in preventing flare-ups.
- Infectious diseases education focuses on educating health care professionals and the general public about identifying, preventing and treating current and emerging infectious diseases.
- Walk Across Texas! brings together people of all ages who encourage each other to engages in regular physical activity.
- Dinner Tonight! provides busy families with quick, healthy, cost effective recipes that taste great.
- Medication assistance and outreach connect people with free and low-cost prescription medications to manage their chronic diseases.
- Well baby events and gestational diabetes education enhance the well-being of families by improving infant and maternal health.
- Youth ambassadors are high school students who motivate peers to make change in their lifestyle to improve their health.
- Volunteers expand the reach of our programs by facilitating educational programming in their communities.
- Public health education and training deliver continuing education for health professionals, community health workers and extension agents.